Ummm yes Josie, I know how to take a bath thank you very much. Yes I know, I know, it’s not exactly a challenge, but really, when was the last time you had a proper long pampering bath? You’ve most likely mastered the shower (and probably the 5 minute shower!) but after a long day at work, standing up for just a second longer can be the last thing you want to do, so lounging in a huge bathtub filled with pampering products is the perfect excuse for some much needed R&R.
We’re lucky to have a gorgeous victorian bath in our little bathroom (I did a Bathroom Tour post here!) but I admit that I rarely use it, more often than not just taking a shower because as much as I know what a relaxing ritual a bath is, on both the mind and body, they can be pretty time consuming! I was recently sent a pamper package from the lovely folk at Victoria Plumb so it seemed the perfect excuse to make way for some Me Time.
So taking a bath is pretty straight forward right?!! You just need soap, water, a lovely scrub and you’re pretty much there, but here are some additional things I like to do to make a bath the most scrumptious experience it could possibly be:
1. Before taking a bath, I like to take a quick shower to cleanse the skin and wash my hair, so that I’m not essentially laying in dirty water!
2. There’s no point in bathing in a dirty tub, so give your tub a scrub, washing away any residue from shampoo and body wash, before filling it with lukewarm to hot water. I always test the water before getting in and get in when it’s just a tiny bit too hot, weirdly enjoying the slight scolding sensation!
3. Once I’m submerged I add in a bath bomb or essential oil. I’m currently loving the LUSH bath bombs (I’m really late to the party with LUSH!) so the novelty still hasn’t worn off!
4. If I don’t shower before getting in the bath, I tie my hair up in a messy bun and add a soothing face mask like the Caudalie Detox Mask which I reviewed here, or the Origins Charcoal Mask which is always a favourite of mine.
5. I like to have some lovely candles lit to really create a zen-like environment, NEOM have the most incredible scents and I’m currently addicted to their Real Luxury candle which also helps me to drift off to sleep.
6. As tempting as it may be to check Instagram while soaking, I keep my phone out of reach while in the bath so that I can disconnect and totally relax for a while.
7. Once I’m thoroughly pampered, I give myself another quick shower to wash away any soap (and the face mask!). If you need to shave or epilate, now would be the best time as your follicles will be softened and open.
8. Then, I apply my most luxurious moisturiser, like the Clinique Deep Comfort Body Butter and let it soak in while I file and paint my nails.
Do you include baths in your beauty routine?